Monday, April 13, 2009

Mindy: A Fish Sunbathing in a Lone Tree


 A Fish Sunbathing in a Lone Tree
         by Mindy  tr. Fan Jinghua
I used to fly under the sea and paddle it
Into a blue hole, deeper
Than the sky, my home,
And even bluer. You say, to choose blue
Is to choose loneliness. Is there any choice
Lonelier than this tree? Birds
All gone, I am your only capture,
Spring flowers flying out of my mouth,
Autumn corncobs falling down my eyes.
You hold me in your hands, raise me high,
And the glare from my belly hurts the crows.
Bring me home, then; Ginger is ready,
Peeled and sliced, lying on the cutting board;
Tonight will be fresh, like a steamed poem.
            April, 2009

  一条鱼在孤独的树上晒太阳

         明迪
我曾经在海里飞,把海
搅成一个蓝洞,比我的家
天空还要深,
还要湛蓝。你说选择蓝色
就是选择了孤独。还有比这棵树
更孤独的吗。鸟儿都走了,
我是你唯一的战利品,
春天的花,从我嘴里飞出,
秋天的玉米,从我眼里落下。
你把我捧在手,高高举起,
雪白的光芒刺痛了乌鸦。
带我回家吧,
姜已切成丝,排列在案板上,
今晚,比一首清蒸的诗还要活生生。
         2009.4.

About the Poet:
 Mindy is an emigre poet and media worker from China, currently living in LA. This poem is the last piece from her most recent "Denmark Suite," a series of seven poems. Her writing is marked with a graceful lightness and natural ease in language, and she has a particular magic to turn common stuff even from the kitchen range into sensually symbolic surreal image.
诗人简介:
 明迪,移居美国的诗人、媒体工作者。这首诗取自她最新的组诗《丹麦组曲》。明迪语言的特点是优雅的轻捷与自然的随意,她尤其擅长于以日常生活之物入诗,以一种魔法改变成超现实的影像,将诸如如厨房间置换成一种极具感官之美的象征场景。

4 comments:

Hudson Book of Bops said...

What a lovely poem... I so much enjoyed reading this and am happy to discover your blog... hope all is well with/for you.
cheers,
Afaa

Jinghua FAN 得一忘二 said...

Hi, Afaa
Nice to read this note. Most of the translations are done as a diary piece, therefore they are done very quick. There must be quite a few aspects that need polishing.

Hudson Book of Bops said...

Jinghua

Always good to see your name in my email box. Hope all is well. I turn 60 years old on 11/26. Time flies.

peace,
Afaa

Hudson Book of Bops said...

Look for the new issue of Chinese Literature Today (CLT) from University of Oklahoma. It's interesting!

--Afaa