Friday, March 28, 2008

Afaa Weaver: Lovers and Flowers

  Lovers with Flowers
        Afaa Weaver

Can you contain my most intimate whisper,
settle it down after it has entered you,
make it a part of you and still cling
to my hand as gently as your eyes hold me?

Something must protect our weakness,
our mortality, and I choose the petal
and the leaf for their own transcience,
as life is emboldened by mortal fear.

In this light through this glass and wood,
I sleep confidently in your murmurs and dreams,
deaf to significance, delighting
in our petty island of flowers and silences.

You have turned my soul to blazing pith.

   情侣与花
      阿发·韦佛尔(蔚雅風)
      tr. Fan Jinghua
你能否接纳我最亲密的低语,
在它进入你之后为它安家,
让它成为你的一部分,而依然粘着
我的手,轻柔如你的眼神将我拥抱?

某种东西必然要守护我们的怯弱,
我们难免一死,而我选择做花瓣
与叶子,因为它们独有的转生术,
生,借着凡人对死的畏惧而勇敢。

这片光穿过这玻璃与木头,而我
安睡其中,坦然沉入你的呢喃与梦,
对意义充耳不闻,只是欣悦于
花朵与沉默营造出我们不足道的岛屿。

你已将我的灵转化成炽灼的精髓。

Note: I was invited to Afaa Weaver's first Simmons International Chinese Poetry Conference in 2004 at which I met him for the first time. I was reading a paper on language issues in translation, especially the impact of the so-called translation style upon modern and contemporary Chinese poetry writing, and also read some of my poems.

No comments: