Monday, December 23, 2013

Fan Jinghua: The Ultimate Meaning Is Meaningless


  The Ultimate Meaning Is Meaningless

Thamsanqa Jantjie, the solemn one
Among an array of dignitaries who stood together
Eulogizing a silenced one, put on some repetitive gestures
For the world to note, and only later he was asked to talk
And he said, earnestly: “I was alone in a dangerous
situation, and I tried to control myself and not
show the world what was going on. I am very sorry.
It’s the situation I found myself in.”

I believe he is what he believes himself to be,
That is, he is “a champion of sign language,”
And the angels, as he said, did come into the stadium.
Now, he alone confirms that all men, white and black,
Noble and low, are truly equal before they lie down,
As we, me included, are all animals, properly attired.
       Dec. 19, 2013

   大意无意

沙姆桑卡·杨特基,一位庄重的人,
侧身那一队政要之间,他们站到一起
轮番赞扬一位永远沉默了的人;
他比划着重复的手势,令全世界关注,
事后,他被要求说话,而他说得很是认真:
“我独自处于一种危险境地,我已努力
控制自己,不要让全世界看出有什么诡异。
真遗憾,我当时确实陷入了那样的境地。”

我相信,他就是他自认的自己,亦即,
他是位实实在在的“手语大师”,而天使,
确实如他说言,降临了那座FNB体育馆。
他一个人就确认了:在这个世界,无论白
还是黑,无论贵还是贱,在躺倒之前,人人
就已经平等,因为咱们都穿着端庄,是动物。
        20131219


No comments: