Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Fan Jinghua: Childhood III: Overcome Fear

Childhood III

  Overcome Fear
When watching movies about Chinese Voluntary Army to Korea
Such as Scouts and Surprise Attack
I could not help shaking like rat before a cat
Upper teeth clapping the lower, but I tried to calm myself
By imitating the hero’s poised voice
That was my formal education of standard mandarin
Which I practiced in stuttering
I also learned that in order to protect oneself among enemies
One has to get an upper hand to be preemptive
Although it was almost impossible for a kid
One day a boy repeated in a hoity-toity voice
The hero’s rebuke to the enemy
"How could you be so careless about your cannons?
Too impotent to fight as a mother-fucker!"
That became an instant magic phrase to relieve anyone
From the nervous shiver when watching the movie
And every time the film ran to that point, the whole playground roared
A few years passed before I learned the original words
Had been "Too important! To fight with MacArthur."


  战胜恐惧
电影《侦察兵》每次都令我
禁不住浑身颤抖,上牙打着下牙
而心里学着英雄镇静的口吻
我最早的普通话教育
就是在那样的哆嗦中不出声地模仿
我们学会了,打入敌人内部
需要先发制人才能自保
然而那可望而不可即
直到有一天,有一个孩子拿腔拿调地说
"你们的大炮是怎么保养的?
他妈屄了!他妈屄了!"
后来那部电影再不能令我紧张
每当放到那儿,操场上便响彻
"他妈屄了!" 几年之后
我终于明白原话是"太麻痹了!"

No comments: