Friday, October 5, 2007

Reading Daphis and Chloe

    Reading Daphis and Chloe
           (Chinese original written on Aug.1, 2005)
  Afternoon, reclining on a couch, I read Ronald MaCail’s translation of Daphis and Chloe (OUP 2002). This is the prototype of romance, a pastoral. There seems to have a Chinese translation which I read in university. Remember Ravel’s ballet music, quite nice. The setting of this pastoral is Lesbos, the hometown of Sappho, and the word root of Lesbian (female homosexual). The Preface starts with: Out hunting in Lesbos,/ in a grove sacred to the Nymphs/ I saw a sight/ whose like, for beauty, I had never seen--/ a painting, / a love story.
  It is notable that Western novel starts with a two-dimension narration: description and painting. Here, a sight is a painting as well as a story. The sight of a site. This is the tradition of ekphrasis. Chinese literature privileges lyricism, and there is no ekphrasis in this sense.
  Chloe’s first sensual feel of love and lust is stupefyingly vivid:
    Now I am sick,
     but I don’t know what with;
    I am in pain,
     yet have no wound upon me;
    I am unhappy,
     yet none of my sheep has been lost;
    I am on fire,
     and yet I am sitting deep in the shade.
    How often have brambles scratched me
     without making me weep!
    How often have bees stung me
     without making me cry!
  Of course, these two are too innocent to quench the fire of desire, and they eventually learn from the sheep how to make love. Human beings have to learn the rear posture of sex from animals.

  下午,躺在沙发上,又看了一遍古希腊的小说Daphnis and Chloe《达夫尼斯与克洛伊》(牛津大学出版社2002年Ronald McCail的新译本)。这可说是所有爱情小说的起源,似乎国内有过译本;而拉威尔的芭蕾舞音乐也很不错。这个田园牧歌的地点是Lesbos,也就是古希腊第一女诗人萨芙的故乡。《序幕》开始:
     在Lesbos出猎之时
     在水泽仙女们的圣林
     我眼见一景
     那般美色我未曾目睹—
     一幅画
     一场爱情。
  西方小说之初,描写就在两个层面上展开:叙事与绘画。这里,一个场景就是一幅画,就是一个故事。对于一个场景/场地的视觉呈现,这是ekphrasis传统。中国重抒情轻叙事,因此没有严格意义上的ekphrasis(叙画诗文)。
  Chloe怀春的一段,写得痴痴的:
     眼下我病了,
      却不知道有啥问题;
     我非常痛苦,
      却全身没有伤口;
     我很不快乐,
      但我并没有丢失一只羊儿的羊儿;
     我火烧火燎,
      而我正坐在树荫之下。
     灌木刺扎了我多少次了,
      而我没有一滴泪水!
     蜜蜂蜇了我多少回了,
      而我没有叫喊一声!
 当然,这两个不解风情的少男少女是不知道如何消除这种“欲火”的,所以他们就学着羊的样子。呵呵,人类得向动物学习男后位。

No comments: